Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
Strawberry and Rhubarb season has just started so I thought I would make a slightly healthier twist on a crumble using them. The classic combination of the tart rhubarb, sweet strawberries and crumble works so well. This summery combination reminds me of picking fruit in the summer, something I think I’ll have to do again this summer! I have made my topping slightly different to a traditional crumble as I have just used oats and no sort of flour and I also used a mix of maple syrup, coconut oil but I think its just as delicious. I also sweetened the filling but you don’t have to if you want to make it even lower in added sugar.
- 4 stalks of rhubarb (about 400g)
- 15-20 strawberries (about 400g)
- 2 tbsp (30g) coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp (1.5ml) vanilla powder
- 2 cups (200g) oats
- 4 tbsp (80g) coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Chop the strawberries into halves or quarters in they are larger and the rhubarb into 2cm pieces and place them in a baking tin (I used a 20x20 cm tin)
- Sprinkle with the 4 tbsp of coconut sugar and half the vanilla powder and mix to combine.
- In a bowl mix the oats, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and remaining coconut sugar and vanilla powder together.
- Cover the fruit with an even layer of the oat mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the topping is crispy and the fruit is soft!
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving
If you make the recipe please use the hashtags #eatplantifully #theplantifulbrunette and tag me in it!