Caramelised Banana and Coconut Porridge
I haven’t been enjoying porridge as much recently so I wanted to try and shake things up an try a recipe which I have been seeing all over Instagram. I don’t normally like trendy Instagram foods but this was something I really wanted to try! When I was younger I used to eat banana’s, which had been grilled on a BBQ with chocolate and marshmallows which would make the banana soft and caramelised and I was hoping this was going to be a much healthier alternative to that. I was not disappointed!
I am also going to share the recipe for the chia jam I used on porridge and I also used in my Chocolate Peanut Butter and Jelly Cups a few months ago. I have been putting off posting this recipe for quite some time because it just seems to simple, it sometimes simple recipes are the best. Right?! I am going to include a few variations of the recipe to make it slightly more interesting so stay tuned for that.
- 1 Banana
- 45g (1/2 Cup) Oats
- 250ml (1 Cup) Coconut Milk
- 5g (1 Tbsp) Flax
- Dash (1/8 tsp) Vanilla Powder
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Coconut Sugar
- Chia Jam
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Flakes
- Mash up half of the banana and add it into a pan with the oats, coconut milk, flax and vanilla powder.
- Stir everything together and bring the porridge to a gentle simmer and cook over a low heat until it reaches your desired thickness. This will take about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile heat a frying pan over medium heat and add in the coconut oil and sugar and stir together as they melt.
- Then chop the other half of the banana into slices.
- Once the sugar is dissolved add the banana and cook for a couple minutes on each side until the banana is slightly softened and golden brown
- Then pour the porridge into a bowl and top with the caramelised banana and as much chia jam, almond butter, coconut flakes, buckinis and other other toppings you want!
If you make the recipe please use the hashtag #eatplantifully and tag me in it!